top of page
  • domchallinor

Social Ride-Out, June 2018

Updated: Apr 20, 2019

This month was another dual ride out, and this is a report for the Social Ride only.

Yet again the weather was on our side, (this is getting to be a bit of a habit!!). Despite this, the turn out was slightly down on last month’s figures and by 0930 there were Ten riders heading out for the Peak District.

Leading the way was Gary Galpin and Tail ending was Simon Clegg. The third Graded rider, keeping an eye on the middle of the group was Patrick Turnbull, making a very welcome return to two wheels after some health issues (Great to see you back Patrick!!). All the other riders Gill Galpin (yet again the only female rider), Guy Hodgkinson, Malcolm Bennett, Nick Payne and both Edwin Price who had recently joined and David Cox who joined up on the day, having been out with us before, were Associates (ie. non-graded riders under training) apart from Kieth Shannon who was visiting for the second time.

Out of Eccleshall we headed for Stone, only this time via Cold Meece and Swynnerton for a change. Then having negotiated the town’s one way system, the road lead us the common way to Leek via Mier Heath. In Leek, the intention was to pick up some less familiar roads to Buxton and the group headed out on the A523. Following a missed turning and a large sweeping U turn, Oh! And then a venture down a narrow private road by Gary, (did you actually know where you were going!!!), the group finally made it to the first stop at Rudyard Lake. Despite having never been before and unsure of what to expect, it turned out to be a cracking site for a break, even though the entrance road is in need of some TLC. The cafe prodeced some good food, from breakfast baps to Scones with jam and cream, and the view of the boats and lake made for nice suroundings.

Jackets back on we trundled out to the road and headed up nto the A54 turning East towards Buxton. The road has some great twists and turns, and despite the 50mph limit, can be good fun if you keep the pace near the roads limit. Eventually, we joined the Cat and Fiddle road into Buxton where a quick fuel stop (for a rider who’d not turned up with a full tank!!) was taken before heading towards the town centre. Fortunately for us we didn’t need to fight the queues of traffic all the way in, and soon peeled off on a cut through to pick up the Manchester road (A5004) to Whaley Bridge, another cracking, twisty road. A quick jaunt down the A6 took us into New Mills and another navigation error meaning we headed for a U turn just to hit a waypoint. Having satisfied the needs of the SatNav, we got back on course to Hayfield, having avoided the tedious route from Buxton to Dove holes, and then took the A624 towards Glossop. However, rather than use this road all the way in, Gary turned us down Monks Road towards Charlesworth, a lovely bit of undulating and twisting tarmac with some great views from the high points. Eventually we joined the the throng of traffic through Glossop High Street, always tediously busy with it being the main Manchester to Sheffield route. Soon enough a right turn took us away from the Queues and into the free car park, where we left the bikes to visit the Pico Lounge for lunch. (as we walked round the corner to the cafe it became apparent we could have parked in the free car park right in front of the place! (Oh well, we’ll know for next time!!). Again some nice food and cool surroundings both visually and temperature wise, saw us rested up and revived, ready for the return journey. Back to the High Street, a right turn, and soon we were heading out of town on the famous Snake Pass. With a speed limit of Fifty, passing day tripper cars takes planning, but is doable. Down to Ladybower reservoir we picked up the A6013 to Bamford. A popular route for bikers saw a constant stream of riders in both directions. However, a nippy little right and left in Hope Valley, saw us leave the hordes behind and start heading back across country on some de-restricted B roads, passing through the very picturesque route of Millers Dale,Longnor and Warslow until reaching Onecote where a sudden decision was made for a final stop at the Jervis Arms for a welcome cold drink by the stream. By Now our numbers had started to diminish, and Nick and Dave had left us to head back home on a more direct route towards Crewe area. Heading onwards we followed the familiar route through Ipstones, Foxt and Froghall then on tho Cheadle where Edwin departed as he lived near by, and then Simon, Guy and Kieth all left us as we exited the town. Now the familiar route from Cresswell to Hilderstone and on to Sandon saw us lose Malcolm at the latter village, leaving Gary, Gill and Patrick heading down the A51 through Weston and round Hixon before Gary and Gill pulled off at Great Haywood, and Patrick headed for Rugeley. All done!! Some unfamiliar roads and cafe stops. great weather , which always makes a difference, and a well ridden group, all resulting in another very enjoyable day on the bike!

22 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page